In response to concerns about supplemental calcium and cardiovascular health, OsteoNaturals formulas limit the amount of calcium in each tablet. We take these concerns seriously and endorse the position that more is not necessarily better. We understand the extreme need for safety when designing nutritional health care products. We therefore closely scrutinize all pertinent medical research when
choosing the form and potency of our ingredients. Our goal is to not only design the highest quality products possible, but to make sure they are effective and meet the therapeutic needs of our customers.
It is important to obtain adequate calcium for optimal skeletal health, and this is difficult to achieve through dietary sources alone. Supplementing with calcium in a safe manner is therefore important, especially for individuals suffering from osteopenia or osteoporosis and in need of higher doses of supplemental calcium. Not only is it essential to supplement with quality forms of calcium (such as those used in our OsteoSustain TM and OsteoMineralBoost TM products) but also to take them in moderate dosages.
In an effort to be cautious, but also to provide effective dosages, we have chosen what we consider an optimal amount of calcium to put into our products. OsteoSustain TM contains only 166 mg calcium per each tablet and our OsteoMineralBoost TM tablets contain 140 mg. OsteoSustain TM also provides bioavailable magnesium, vitamins D and K, and trace minerals to enhance calcium uptake and utilization, and put it where it belongs, into the bones. In addition to calcium in the form of hydroxyapatite, OsteoMineralBoost TM contains highly absorbable magnesium, trace minerals from Aquamin seaweed, and betaine hydrochloric acid (HCL) for improved mineral absorption. As we age, the production of HCL in the stomach often declines leading to poor digestion and under-assimilation of nutrients. By taking OsteoMineralBoost TM you can be assured of optimal absorptibility.
At OsteoNaturals we believe in GENTLY providing the body with what it needs to build bone. Taking 3 OsteoSustain TM tablets spread out over the day with meals provides 500 mg calcium in a safe, effective manner. For individuals with severe bone loss, we recommend taking in slightly more calcium each day by way of an additional 1 to 3 tablets of OsteoMineralBoost TM . This “Boost” in protocol not only adds more calcium to a daily regimen but also important trace minerals. As some people with severe bone loss benefit greatly from taking 3 tablets each of the OsteoSustain TM and OsteoMineralBoost TM daily, our formulas take this into consideration. It is safe to take 1 OsteoSustain TM and 1 OsteoMineralBoost TM at a single sitting. When taken together, they provide 315 mg calcium, which is well below the generally considered safe dose of 400 mg per sitting. Taking 500 mg or more of supplemental calcium at one sitting can “spike” blood calcium levels. We do not recommend taking high doses of calcium as it could potentially interfere with normal heart rhythms. This concern is cautionary only as research has not determined if this spiking has any long-term deleterious effects.
- Make sure to have him or her check your vitamin D [25(OH)D] blood level intermittently. It should be maintained between 40 and 80 ng/ml.
- Get a laboratory bone resorption test – either NTx, CTx, or DPD. These are blood and urine tests that can help you and your doctor determine if you are actively losing an excessive amount of bone. OsteoStim is a perfect balance of antioxidants, medicinal herbs and other compounds to help limit excess bone remodeling and reduce bone loss. Follow-up bone resorption tests should show improved results.
- Make sure your digestive system is healthy. If you have loose or foul smelling stools, oily stools, bad breath, constipation, bloating, belching, or excessive gas this could be a sign that your gastrointestinal tract is unhealthy. You may have a digestive issue that is contributing to your bone loss through reduced nutrient absorption and the production of chronic systemic inflammation. Taking probiotics helps promote gastrointestinal health and reduce systemic inflammation.
- Check your urine pH first thing in the morning. If it isn’t above 6.6 your body may be too acidic – a condition that can increase bone loss. Eating more green vegetables and reducing your intake of acidic foods such as cheese, red meat, sugar, coffee, and sodas will help increase your pH which shows you are in a more alkaline, bone healthy environmental state. OsteoMineralWhey helps to alkalinize the body. One heaping tablespoon in warm water twice daily (or more if you wish) will help raise body pH, reduce calcium loss through the urine, and limit osteoclastic activity. This goat whey product is packed with important minerals and has an alkalinizing influence on the body.
- Have your doctor test you for celiac disease and gluten sensitivity. Your doctor may also recommend other tests that could be very important in the management of your bone and overall health.
- Review your current food preferences to see if you could benefit from changes in your diet, besides eating more green vegetables and less sugar, caffeine, cheese and red meat.
- Review your current exercise regimen and get advice from your doctor about short and long term strategies that might work for you.
- Eat green veggies! Lots of them!
- Limit excessive intake of sugar, caffeine, cheese, and red meat.
- OsteoSustain: Take 3/day for general bone health.
- OsteoMineralBoost: For those individuals who may need more minerals because they have osteopenia or osteoporosis take 1 to 2 capsules/day.
- OsteoStim: This supplement provides effective doses of antioxidants, medicinal herbs, and vitamins specifically designed to normalize bone remodeling and reduce bone loss. If you have osteopenia or osteoporosis, OsteoStim, 3/day, is a must.
- OsteoMineralWhey: This powder drink is absolutely invigorating. It is made from goat milk and contains over 20 naturally occurring minerals and electrolytes such as potassium, magnesium, and calcium. It is alkalinizing and soothing to the digestive tract. A pleasant, healthy, addition to anyone’s day, especially if they have bone loss.
- Exercise can be like a heaping spoonful of good medicine. A consistent regimen of weight-bearing exercise will improve bone health, increase muscle strength and coordination, and reduce your fracture risk. Being active not only helps sweep the cobwebs away by improving circulation and reducing systemic inflammation, it also sends the final spark that ignites bone renewal.
- To signal bone formation, you should engage in two primary types of exercise on a regular basis (at least 15 to 30 minutes, three or four days a week)
- Weight-bearing exercise: Weight-bearing exercise includes walking, jogging, hiking, tai chi, dancing, aerobics, yard work, tennis, stair-climbing, bowling—anything that has your body moving against the resistance of gravity helps to stimulate bone formation.
- Strength or resistance training: Strength training involves moving your body against some form of resistance. This can include the use of free weights (dumbbells), weight machines, elastic resistance bands, or simply resisting your own weight, such as with abdominal crunches, wall push-ups, or squats. The great thing about exercise, even resistance training, is that it doesn’t require fancy equipment. You can lift soup cans in you kitchen and receive great benefit. The main thing is to get into an exercise routine and stick to it.
- By improving your muscle strength and coordination you will prevent falls, which are the leading cause of hip fractures. So get out there and do something. Exercise makes you feel better. Have fun.
Low-level inflammation causes bone loss. It can also set the stage for other diseases. Heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s, depression, and even cancer all share a common unifying factor with osteoporosis: chronic, systemic inflammation. You will want to eliminate whatever is causing inflammation in your life. This means food allergens, microbial overgrowth, hormonal imbalances, environmental toxins and emotional stress. And, specific to bone health, you will also need to take several important antioxidants and medicinal herbs.
Here is how you do it:
- Reduce stress. I know this can be difficult, but it is an important step for improving bone health. *
- Eat frequently. It is stressful on the adrenal glands to go for 6 hours or more without eating. *
- Eliminate food allergens and sensitivities (such as gluten). *
- Reduce pro-inflammatory foods such as red meat, excess dairy, sugar and hydrogenated fats.
- Increase anti-inflammatory foods such as green vegetables, fish, berries, seeds, avocados, olive oil, and nuts.
- Supplement your diet with OsteoNaturals to provide optimal amounts of calcium, magnesium, trace minerals, and vitamins K and D.
- Supplement your diet with antioxidants such as vitamins C, E, and K, zinc, selenium, manganese, molybdenum, DHEA, ubiquinone (coenzyme Q10), alpha-lipoic acid, N-acetyl cysteine, milk thistle, carotenoids, quercetin, rutin, ginger, resveratrol, leucine, taurine, lycopene, green tea EGCG, and curcumin. We have found alpha-lipoic acid, N-acetyl cysteine, taurine, milk thistle, and apo-lactoferrin (all in OsteoStim) to be the most effective for improving skeletal health.
Ingest an optimal amount of quality protein for muscle and bone growth. Milk Basic Protein (MBP®) and Bioferrin 1000 (in OsteoStim), are components of milk whey, and have been shown to promote bone formation and inhibit bone resorption.
- Use probiotics for improved gastrointestinal health and better digestion and absorption of nutrients. *
- Regulate kinase enzymes (these relay inflammatory messages to the cells). We do this with berberine which is in our OsteoStim.
* If these are issues for you, talk with your doctor about resources that can put you on track for a successful outcome.
I am often asked, “What is the best way to take OsteoNaturals supplements, and how many tablets of each product do I take to gain the most benefit.” Of course, everyone is different and nutritional needs are unique to each person, but I gave this a lot of thought as I was designing each of the products.
The following protocol for improving skeletal health has proven clinically sound over the past 4 years since the launch of OsteoNaturals.
An optimal intake of supplemental calcium, magnesium, trace minerals, vitamins D and K, along with bioactive herbs and antioxidants for the promotion of a balanced bone remodeling process, can be obtained by taking:
- OsteoSustain: 3/day (one with each meal)
- OsteoMineralBoost: 1 to 3 per day
- OsteoStim: 3/day (one with each meal)
If you have difficulty maintaining a first morning urine pH at or above 6.6 then the addition of 1 to 2 heaping teaspoons of OsteoMineralWhey each day (between meals or in the evening) will help alkalinize the body making the skeleton more resistant to excessive bone loss.
The OsteoNaturals difference is four-fold:
Quality: We are the manufacturer of OsteoNaturals supplements and because of this we CAN and DO choose ONLY the best ingredients possible to put into our products. Our ingredients have undergone strict testing to ensure safety and bioactive potency. Our OsteoNaturals products are manufactured in GMP certified facilities that strictly adhere to FDA manufacturing, testing, and labeling specifications.
Absorbability: We use Albion Advanced Nutrition minerals. Albion is the leader in quality, chelated minerals with outstanding absorption.
Therapeutic Quantities: We do not “window dress” our products with ineffective doses of ingredients. We don’t put in “a little bit of this and a little bit of that” just to make our products “look” good. We use clinically-backed, therapeutic dosages to gain optimal results. Our mission is to help you improve your bone health and we do not settle for less.
Unique Ingredients: OsteoNaturals is the only product on the market with the following two-pronged approach to bone health.
ALL of the vitamins and minerals vital for improving bone health, and
A blend of antioxidants and medicinal herbs that have been researched and carefully chosen for their ability to reduce osteoclastic bone destruction, increase osteoblastic bone formation, and aid in the reduction of chronic systemic inflammation, the major cause of bone loss.
NO OTHER MANUFACTURER DOES THIS! NONE! Our formulas are designed not only to provide all the nutrients necessary for bone health but also to encourage normal bone metabolism and reduce the adverse metabolic processes commonly seen in people with osteoporosis.