N- acetyl cysteine (NAC) is an amino acid with powerful antioxidant activity. Like other antioxidants, NAC can help prevent inflammation and cell damage from free radicals but its healing powers do not stop there. NAC has been shown to be especially helpful at combating bone loss. Studies by Ji, et al (2011) and Yamada, et al (2013) both showed that NAC reduces bone loss from excessive osteoclastic activity, increases bone formation, and lowers fat infiltration into bone marrow which can crowd out bone forming osteoblast cells. By neutralizing free radicals and pro-inflammatory cytokines, NAC can be important therapy for combating osteoporosis. Using rat cell cultures, Yamada showed that NAC can help regenerate bone and concluded that “NAC can function as an osteogenesis-enhancing molecule to accelerate bone regeneration by activating differentiation of osteogenic lineages.” Ji concluded that “NAC is a promising potential drug for the prevention and treatment of osteoporosis…”.
OsteoNaturals’ OsteoStim is a unique and potent blend of antioxidants, vitamins, milk basic protein and medicinal herbs designed to aid in the reduction of chronic inflammation, encourage normal bone metabolism, and manage the adverse metabolic processes of osteoporosis. It contains a therapeutic dose of 600 mg N-acetyl cysteine. Three caplets provide:
- Vitamin D3 (1,000 IU): For improved absorption of calcium. Associated with higher bone mineral density and lower fracture risk. Promotes muscle strength and decreased risk for falls.
- Vitamin K2 (MK4 (700 mcg) and MK7 (50 mcg)): Activates osteocalcin, a protein important for bone formation.
- Biotin (3,000 mcg): Necessary for cell growth.
- Alpha-Lipoic Acid (200 mg): Powerful antioxidant to help reduce the proinflammatory
- cytokines that stimulate osteoclastic bone resorption and excessive bone loss.
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) (600 mg): This powerful antioxidant lowers free radicals, major contributors to excessive bone loss.
- Taurine (200 mg): Important co-factor for balanced bone remodeling activity.
- Berberine (250 mg): Studies indicate this medicinal herb helps prevent bone loss and increase bone mineral density by promoting osteoblast (bone-building cells) formation.
- BioferrinⓇ 1000 (250 mg): A low-iron (apo-lactoferrin) natural, biologically active milk protein isolated from whey for reducing oxidative stress, decreasing inflammation, and promoting improved bone mineral density.
- MBP® (Milk Basic Protein) (40 mg): A component of milk whey shown to promote bone formation and inhibit bone resorption.*
- Milk Thistle (200 mg): Medicinal herb with powerful antioxidant activity to help limit the activity of bone-resorbing osteoclasts.
- GMO and gluten free.
Yamada, M., et al. 2013. N-acetyl cysteine as an osteogenesis-enhancing molecule for bone regeneration. Biomaterials May 24 [Epub ahead of print].
Ji, H., et al. 2011. N-acetyl-L-cysteine enhances the osteogenic differentiation and inhibits the adipogenic differentiation through up regulation of Wnt 5a and down regulation of PPARG in bone marrow stromal cells. Biomed Pharmacother Aug:65(5):369-74.